decanter

glassworks: unknown

circa 1800
See full details

Object Detail


Description
decanter, mallet form, club-shaped, small blue glass coloured, club shaped with original stopper; lozenge shaped with fancy "Brandy" gilded on one side with gilt surround on reverse. Sprig of foliage with gilt surround. The gilded on the rim has almost rubbed off, but the gilded on the decanter is still in good condition with a gilt ring around upper neck and a bow entwined with this, hanging from this is a chain down to the gilt Brandy label, copying a Brandy silver or porcelain label. hand-blown in traditional, Bristol, cobalt blue, this piece features hand painted gilt trompe l'oeil decoration on the body and lozenge stopper. This decanter is in a mallet form and marked Brandy

Bristol blue glass colour is derived from the use of cobalt oxide and became popularised in the late eighteenth century when William Cooksworthy acquired a stock of colbalt from a mine in Saxony and the style remained popular into the nineteenth century.
Maker and role
glassworks: unknown
Production place
Bristol, England
Production date
circa 1800
Media description
Bristol [cobalt] blue glass
Measurements
decanter 235 x 73 x 185 mm
stopper 23 mm
Measurement details
height: 235mm
width: 73mm
depth: 185mm
Credit line
Foundation Collection, 1989
Project credit line
This digital record has been made available on TJC Collection Online through a significant donation from the OPENING DOORS fund, the generous support of The Friends of The Johnston Collection, and Digitisation Champion Christine Bell
Accession number
A0186
Maker

Colours


Materials



 Share