decanter

glassworks: unknown

circa 1800
See full details

Object Detail


Description
glass bottle, mallet form, club-shaped, decanter and stopper. Cobalt blue glass with gilt inscription in panel. "Brandy" and gilt lines, "B" on lozenge shaped stopper. hand-blown in traditional, Bristol, cobalt blue, this piece features hand painted gilt trompe l'oeil decoration on the body and lozenge stopper. This decanter is in a mallet form and marked Brandy.

Bristol blue glass colour is derived from the use of cobalt oxide and became popularised in the late eighteenth century when William Cooksworthy acquired a stock of colbalt from a mine in Saxony and the style remained popular into the nineteenth century.
Maker and role
glassworks: unknown
Production place
Bristol, England
Production date
circa 1800
Media description
Bristol g;ass
Measurements
220 x 70 x 30
Measurement details
height: 220mm
diameter: 70mm
diameter: 30mm
Credit line
Foundation Collection, 1989
Project credit line
This digital record has been made available on TJC Collection Online through a significant donation from the OPENING DOORS fund, the generous support of The Friends of The Johnston Collection, and Digitisation Champion Christine Bell
Accession number
A0187
Maker