urn

manufacturer: Worcester porcelain factory (estab. circa 1751, closed 1862);  Flight and Barr period (estab. 1783, closed 1840); 

circa 1820
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Campana or inverted bell-shaped vase / urn on a stem and square plinth base. Pale green ground to the body and stem, hand-painted classical vase from which issues a spray of rose, [aster], [peony] and [nasturtium], a butterfly and around which are placed a pear, a peach, an apple and cracked walnuts. The applied, moulded handles terminate with ram's head masks; the rim and border extremities are gilded; the interior of the rim is gilded with a border of stylised half-shaded harebells and anthemions as is the lower part of the vase where the handles are affixed. The top of the plinth base is stippled in gold.
Maker and role
manufacturer: Worcester porcelain factory (estab. circa 1751, closed 1862)
Flight and Barr period (estab. 1783, closed 1840)
Production place
Worcester, Worcestershire, England
Production date
circa 1820
Media description
porcelain, polychrome enamel decoration
Measurements
250 x 175 mm
Measurement details
height: 250mm
width: 175mm
Credit line
Foundation Collection, 1989
Project credit line
This digital record has been made available on TJC Collection Online through a significant donation from the OPENING DOORS fund, the generous support of The Friends of The Johnston Collection, and Digitisation Champion Christine Bell
Accession number
A0409

Colours


Materials


Subject categories



 Share