candlestick

glassworks: F & C Osler (estab. 1807, closed 1965);  attributed to: Osler & Co; 

circa 1830-1835
See full details

Object Detail


Description
candlestick, pair, winged figure of Victory in patinated bronze standing atop a sphere which in turn sits upon a cyclindrical column with shaped top and bottom. The figure holds an urn above her head (the candle / shade holder). Finely cast, crosshatched, decoration to column. Green-coloured glass storm shades with gilt leaf and fleur-de-lys pendant decoration. Lead-weighted base.

the firm of F & C Osler of London and Birmingham, were the leading makers of chandeliers and lighting during the nineteenth century. The glassworks were founded by Thomas Osler in 1807 in Birmingham and specialised in glass furniture and chandeliers for the overseas market. the company, established in Birmingham in 1807, had showrooms in London and Calcutta, becoming famous for their innovative designs and high quality stormshades attributed to [F & C Osler] est. 1807-1965 Thomas Osler Follett and Clarkson Osler Birmingham (after 1807-1965) London (after 1845-)
Maker and role
glassworks: F & C Osler (estab. 1807, closed 1965)
attributed to: Osler & Co
Production place
Birmingham, England
Production date
circa 1830-1835
Media description
gilt-bronze [ormolu], Green glass
Measurements
475 (minus shade) 747 (with shade) base 107
Measurement details
height: 475mm
width: 747mm
depth: 107mm
Credit line
Foundation Collection, 1989
Project credit line
This digital record has been made available on TJC Collection Online through a significant donation from the OPENING DOORS fund, the generous support of The Friends of The Johnston Collection, and Digitisation Champion Christine Bell
Accession number
A0681