cup and saucer

manufacturer: Miles Mason pottery (estab. 1752, closed 1822);  formerly attributed to: Pinxton Pottery (active 1796-1813); 

circa 1800
See full details

Object Detail


Description
teacup and saucer, Bute shape teacup with loop handle and Mason’s characteristic thumb rest. teacup and saucer both decorated overglaze with Pattern No. 528, painted landscape surrounded by gold bands and gold vermicelli with gilded rims and handle.
Pinxton porcelain produced in Derbyshire from 1796 to 1813. The factory was established by John Coke, who had lived in Dresden, Saxony, with the help of William Billingsley, who had worked as a painter at Derby. Billingsley remained at Pinxton until 1799, concentrating on the production of the porcelain rather than its decoration. He made a ware that contained bone ash, was granular yet transparent, and had a brilliant glaze.
He had probably obtained the formula from the Chelsea painter Zachariah Boreman. Pinxton produced only domestic ware and tableware. In 1804 the factory was taken over by John Cutts; the wares produced thereafter were inferior to those of Billingsley.
Maker and role
manufacturer: Miles Mason pottery (estab. 1752, closed 1822)
formerly attributed to: Pinxton Pottery (active 1796-1813)
Production place
Staffordshire, England
Production date
circa 1800
Media description
bone china overglaze
Measurements
cup: 57 x 100 x 80 mm
saucer: 30 x 140 mm
Measurement details
depth: 80mm
Credit line
bequest of Alwynne Jona OAM, Melbourne 2013
Project credit line
This digital record has been made available on TJC Collection Online through the generous support of The Friends of The Johnston Collection and Christine Bell
Accession number
A1301

Colours


Materials


Subject categories


 Share